Migration & visa information

Sections on this page

Migration, visas, and hepatitis

People living with hepatitis B or C may not have their visa approved because they have not met health standards set by the Australian government. While it is entirely possible for these individuals and their partners to successfully be granted a visa, the process can sometimes be challenging.

LiverWELL has produced an easy to understand introductory resource to support those affected in understanding how hepatitis B affects their visa application and some processes along the way.

The Australian visa applicants and hepatitis resource is now available for download in several languages.

Migration & visa FAQs

Can a person who is living with hepatitis B or hepatitis C migrate to Australia?

Yes, they can. However, every case will be different and the Australian Government takes into account where a person is migrating from, their age, how long they have been living with hepatitis, and what they intend to do in Australia, among other factors.

What are the steps involved when applying for a visa if I have hepatitis?

  1. Complete a health examination with an approved doctor as a part of your visa application.
  2. The Medical Officer of the Commonwealth (MOC) will review your results and decide if you meet the health requirement.
  3. If you do meet the health requirement, your visa application will continue. If you do not meet the health requirement and your visa has the Public Interest Criterion (PIC) 4007, submit a health waiver.
  4. If a health waiver is granted, your visa application will continue.

If the health waiver is not granted, you can appeal this decision to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).

Can I do my health examination with any doctor?

Unfortunately, no.

For immigration purposes, all health examinations conducted within Australia must be completed by a doctor managed by BUPA or BUPA medical visa services.

To locate your closest clinic and book an appointment visit the BUPA medical visa services website: Go to website

For those applying outside of Australia, the health examination must be completed by a Panel physician approved by the Australian government. A list of Panel Physicians by country is available on the Department of Home Affair’s website: Go to website

Where can I find more information?

Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM) – Hepatitis B and immigration

Department of Home Affairs – Health requirement fact sheet: View fact sheet

We are here to answer your queries and support you. Call or chat with us online.
LiverWELL acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.
We welcome people from all cultures, nationalities and religions. Being inclusive and providing equitable services is our commitment.

ABN 48 656 812 701

We acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands where we work - the lands of the Woi-Wurrung Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations. We express our gratitude to them for their continued care and curation of these lands and waters. We pay our respects to Elders past and present.

LiverWELL observes and honours the Kulin Nation's intrinsic connection to land, sky and water, and the creator Bunjil. LiverWELL is committed to being led and informed by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders on bridging health outcomes for communities and improving liver health.